July 30th 2014,
According to Healthline, depression is an epidemic among college students. Some of the more alarming statistics:
- 1 out of every 4 college students suffers from some form of mental illness, including depression
- 44 percent of American college students report having symptoms of depression
- 75 percent of college students do not seek help for mental health problems
- Suicide is the third leading cause of death among college students
- Young people diagnosed with depression are five times more likely to attempt suicide than adults
- 19 percent of young people in the U.S. either contemplate or attempt suicide every year
- 4 out of every 5 college students who either contemplate or attempt suicide show clear warning signs
According to suicide.org, a teen takes his or her own life every 100 minutes. Suicide is the third-leading cause of death for young people ages 15 to 24. Approximately 20 percent of teens experience depression before they reach adulthood, and between 10 to 15 percent suffer from symptoms at any one time.
TipNow Social is a social media monitoring technology for safety and security. Depression is a key issue on our campuses today. Here is a case study on how King’s County of Education is using TipNow Social.